A spirit medium reading is a three-way system of communication in which a spirit communicates with a spirit medium, the spirit medium receives and transmits the information to the recipient of the reading, and the recipient identifies the loved one in spirit that is coming through and opens themselves up to the messages that are being shared. It is a cooperative effort that requires active participation from the being in spirit, the spirit medium, and the recipient of the reading.
At times, the recipient of the reading may not readily recall the person or animal who is coming through, or they may not immediately recognize the symbols or messages that are being shared. This phenomenon is often referred to as psychic amnesia. There are many reasons why this can happen, even when everyone involved is doing their best to ensure clear and concise communications.
Reasons Why Psychic Amnesia Can Occur
- Only wanting to hear from one person
- Concentrating only on people who recently passed
- Thinking of your own perspective of the person, and not the perspective of the person coming through
- Waiting for a code word, name, or specific message
- No matter how much unique identifying information is brought through, some people will not believe that it is one of their loved ones in spirit unless they hear a specific word, name, or message.
- In a group reading setting, some people do not want to be the center of attention
- Denial based in fear
- Some people do not want to revisit the pain of someone’s passing.
- People have mentioned that they denied knowing the person coming through because they were fearful of the emotions that would be brought forth.
- Some people may be uncomfortable with spirit communication because they do not understand how it works.
- At times, people do not want to hear from a particular person due to painful situations encountered in life, and will, therefore, deny that they recognize them.
- Fear of the unknown
- Skepticism about spirit communication
- People who have had negative experiences with people who were not authentic or genuine, or they may have heard stories from others about this, may not want to believe the information coming through.
- Strong religious beliefs or teachings that deny that this type of communication exists or is a product of negative beings may be deeply ingrained in someone and they may not be receptive to the information being brought forth.
- Thinking only of family, not friends, neighbors, associates, or others
- Being awestruck
- This can happen at any time, but most often when someone is sitting for a reading for the first time. It is as if their thinking mind has stopped functioning and they cannot even remember details about their own lives, let alone loved ones who have passed.
- Not understanding how spirit communication works
- Spirit communication is a complex process that involves the use of all of the spirit medium’s senses. People who are not familiar with the way it works may sometimes think that it is as simple as a fireside chat in which all information about a person’s life is easily shared.
- Impaired judgment due to inebriation
- Thinking of other things and not living in the moment.
- Not paying attention to the information that is being shared.
- If someone is very tired or exhausted, it may be challenging for them to recall information or to recognize it when it is coming through.
- Strong grief
- Messages may be brought through but the person may be so distraught that they have a hard time hearing and digesting the messages.
- Sometimes the information that is shared in a reading may be referring to a future situation that will be occurring
- Loved ones in spirit and the angels may share visions and information about events that have not yet occurred. In this case, the person sitting for a reading would have no prior knowledge about events that have yet to be.
Ways to Sidestep Psychic Amnesia
- Keep an open mind
- You never know who is going to come through, nor can you anticipate the message that they will bring.
- Your loved ones in spirit know who you need to hear from and why. Keep in mind that they view your life from an enlightened perspective and they bring through information that will bring healing, love and success for the evolution of your soul.
- Be open to the information coming through because your loved ones in spirit are doing their best to share information using a very intricate communication process that involves the transference of their messages through the use of all of the spirit medium’s senses. It is not as clear-cut or as simple as a fireside chat.
- Know that anyone that has passed can come through, including in-laws, friends, family, acquaintances, co-workers, relations whom you never met but who know you from watching over you from heaven, your pets and others whom you knew or visited, and more.
- Be aware that acquaintances, friends, and coworkers from your past may want to come through to let you know just how much their relationship with you meant to them.
- Release your fears and trust in the existence of higher powers
- Receiving communications from your loved ones in spirit is an incredible experience that originates from the most powerful force in the universe—love. This amazing force comes from our Creator who wants nothing but the best for each and every one of us.
- Be aware that fears are often an illusion that block us from achieving our dreams and living the lives we are meant to live.
- Prepare for your spirit medium reading
- Familiarize yourself with the process. I provide articles and brief videos to help people understand how spirit communication works. In addition, I explain how spirits communicate with me prior to each reading that I provide.
- Know that spirit communication is a very complex process that involves the full participation and cooperation of you, your loved ones in spirit, and the spirit medium.
- Record your reading and/or take notes
- If you do not remember a person or symbol right away, there is a good chance that you will remember later or that the information that shared will be revealed at a time in the near future. Having notes or a recording will allow you to revisit the information shared within a spirit medium reading, which may trigger memories, or you can reference it when an event occurs that was mentioned in your reading.
- Be awake, alert, and sober as this is a special form of communication that requires your active participation
- Allow time to grieve before contacting a spirit medium for a reading
- In the first stage of grief, which includes feelings of anger and denial of the person’s passing, it is best to wait until your heart and spirit have begun to heal and accept the person’s or pet’s passing.
- Do not be too hard on yourself if you temporarily forget loved ones or certain symbols
- Taking notes or recording your reading will help you to remember.
- There may be a reason outside of yourself as to why you are not remembering information right away. For instance, my sister-in-law’s experience with psychic amnesia was an important catalyst for life-altering events that occurred in my own life. She was not recognizing messages coming through from my father, and because of that, I felt compelled to visit the same spirit medium to see what he had to say. If these events had not occurred in this way, I may not have re-awakened to my own gifts of mediumship.
Relax and Enjoy the Experience of a Spirit Medium Reading
Most of all, it is important to make the most of your spirit medium reading by relaxing and allowing the process to naturally unfold. If you open yourself up to this incredible form of communication, the healing of spirit that comes from a spirit medium reading can change your life in amazing ways. Enjoy the communications that are coming through from your loved ones in spirit, as they as are motivated by love, which is the greatest gift that can be transmitted from one being to another.
With Light and Love,
Karen T. Hluchan
Spirit Medium, Motivational Speaker, Reiki Master, & Author of How Have You Loved?